How do I Obtain a Birth Certificate in Florida?

Why obtain a birth certificate in Florida?

Obtaining an original birth certificate is an important step on your journey toward reunion. In closed adoption cases, some adoptees aren’t even aware that they have another birth certificate floating around somewhere with their biological parents’ names on it. Finding this hidden gem can be the catalyst to your reunion, or at least, it can give you some sense of direction.

How do I obtain a birth certificate in Florida?

To obtain an original birth certificate in Florida, an applicant must meet one of the following criteria:

  • Be the registrant and over the age of 18.
  • Be the parents of the registrant.
  • Be the legal guardian of the registrant.
  • Be the legal representation of the registrant (must provide a copy of appointment order).
  • Have a court order (must provide a certified copy of court order).

If the registrant has passed away, a death certificate is needed and will be issued to a spouse, parent, sibling, or legal representative of the deceased person.

Anybody over the age of 18 can obtain a copy of a birth certificate for births over 100 years ago.

There are various means to obtain a birth certificate in Florida:

  • Fill out an application in person at the office in Florida Monday-Friday between 8 am and 4:30 pm at

1217 North Pearl Street
Jacksonville, FL 32202

  • Mail an application to 

Bureau of Vital Statistics
Attn: Vital Records Selection
P.O. Box 210
Jacksonville, FL 322231-0042

  • Visit VitalChek website.
  • Call VitalChek at 877-550-7330.

Forms of identification include

  • Driver’s License
  • State Identification Card
  • Passport
  • Military Card

A copy of the application form can be found here.

Spanish applications can be found here.

For more information, visit Florida’s Vital Statistics website.

The road to reunion has as many twists, turns, and bumps as your adoption did. Rather than finding yourself discombobulated and spinning in circles, take your first step in the right direction by obtaining your original birth certificate.